Your privacy is important to me and I am committed to keeping your information secure and managing it in accordance with my legal responsibilities under applicable data protection laws. I am registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a data controller under registration number Z9161130.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully as it contains important information to help you understand how and why I process any personal information that you give to me.
What information I collect
I process personal information which you give me:
- in your capacity as a client in order to provide you with legal services;
- whilst servicing your account through our through my electronic systems, website, in writing or over the telephone;
- if you request advice, information or assistance from me.
What personal information I process
This may include all or any of:
- personal details such as your date of birth, address, National Insurance Number, telephone number and email address;
- identity information such as your passport, driving licence, utility bills or national identity card;
- records relating to you, your partner or anyone else with whom you are financially linked and occasionally credit history and (this information is obtained from credit reference and fraud prevent agencies);
- family, lifestyle, financial and social circumstances;
- financial details such as your income and information about your bank accounts;
Special Categories of Personal Data
Special categories of personal data (such as any include information about an individual’s health or finances and other categories of personal information) are closely protected.
I do not generally process such information unless you have voluntarily provided this to me, or it is relevant to the legal service you have asked me to provide you with. For example, where you have advised me of an issue, such as your health, which could mean that you may be classed as a “vulnerable client” ie. due to your personal circumstances or personal characteristics you are particularly vulnerable to financial detriment.
I will process sensitive information where you have provided this information to me and have agreed that I may use this information in the course of providing legal services to you. Where possible I seek to minimise the collection and use of such special categories of personal data.
How I use your Information
The purposes for which I use your information are to:
- provide legal services to you;
- provide and service your relationship with me;
- comply with legal obligations for the prevention of financial crime and money
Accordingly I will process your information:
- in order to meet my contractual obligations to you,
- where Ihave a legitimate interest in doing do so,
- where I am required or permitted by law or to comply with applicable laws and regulation.
|Providing a service and internal processing|
|To assess your needs and provide you with suitable products and services||Contractual obligation to provide you with, or a proposal including a costs estimate|
|Where special categories of personal data are processed, these are necessary to assess your needs|
|To service and administer your matter including billing||Legitimate interests to provide and manage the service|
|To verify the identity of my clients||To comply with legal obligations to prevent money laundering|
|To confirm, update and improve our client records||To comply with legal obligations in the Data Protection legislation|
|To provide you with any information on the services that you have requested||To meet my contractual obligation to provide information on the services you have requested|
|To manage and develop our relationship with you||Legitimate interest to service your matter and improve our service to you|
|To inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you, where you have chosen to be made aware of this||With your consent|
|To improve my service to you||Legitimate interests to improve my services|
|Complying with Legal Obligations|
|To prevent, investigate and prosecute crime, fraud and money laundering||To comply with legal obligations for prevention of financial crime and money laundering|
|For auditing purpose||To comply with my legitimate interest|
|To conduct audits|
|If I am obliged to disclose information by reason of any law, regulation or court order||To comply with legal obligations|
|To transfer information to any entity which may acquire rights in this law practice||Legitimate interests for commercial interests|
|For any other purpose to which you agree.||With your consent|
How I retain your personal information
I will retain your personal information in accordance with applicable laws. I will take reasonable steps to destroy or anonymise personal information we no longer need for the purposes we have set out above.
How long I retain your personal information
I will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, I consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which I process your personal data and whether I can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
How I may share your information
Where necessary or required I share information with:
- Regulatory authorities to comply with my legal
- Credit reference agencies to check your identity in accordance with my legal
- Property Search Companies to identify any issues that might influence your decision to buy or sell a
- Insurers for the purpose of providing you with appropriate indemnity policy for an identified insurable risk in a conveyancing transaction, or in connection with any claim made by you against me.
- Property Agents, Brokers, Lenders, other Solicitors involved in your transaction representing other party(ies) in your matter to enable them and me to fulfil my obligations to
- Other Government Departments such as HMRC, Companies House, Probate Registry, Court of Protection or HM Land Registry to fulfil your and my legal obligations.
- Experts and Barristers required to work on your
- My Auditors and external assessment bodies to achieve and maintain any Regulatory or accreditations which meet my legal obligations and/or enable us to provide quality legal services to
Transfer of data
I operate this practice in the United Kingdom. I may use servers and cloud services to host, store and process data in other countries and may transfer the data to other countries for the purpose of storage and data management. Our Related Parties may have access to your personal data in different countries including, without limitation, the UK, the EU and the USA. I ensure that when personal data is transferred across borders, I do so in compliance with the law including (in the case of data exported from the EU) by putting in place, as between me and the party receiving the data, contractual terms for the protection of the interests of data subjects in the form approved by the European Commission.
Links to third party sites and social media services
This policy applies only to the processing of personal data by me in connection with the services which I provide. It does not apply to any processing activities carried out by operators of websites, social media services such as Twitter or LinkedIn or other third parties whose sites or services may be accessible via my website.
I engage appropriate resources to protect your personal information, from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, no internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control.
This website uses Google Analytics cookies. These allow us to measure the number of visitors, to see how visitors navigate the site and to see which resources they access. This helps me to develop new content, improve the way the website works and monitor visitor traffic. These cookies do not enable me to identify individual users. Google provides further information about Analytics.
To prevent Google Analytics cookies being set, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-On.
For general information about cookies please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
You have the right to request copies of your personal information. You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, I may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, I may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may also request it is corrected or erased. You also have a right, in certain circumstances, to object to our processing of your personal information, to require us to stop processing your personal information and/or to withdraw your agreement to processing based on ‘consent’, but this does not apply where we have other legal justifications to continue processing your data or an overriding legitimate interest.
In relation to all of these rights, please write to us at the address below.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using the details below and we will investigate your complaint. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office – (www.ico.org.uk).
You can contact me in writing at:
20-21 Jockey’s Fields, London WC1R 4BW
Peter Scholl is the Data Controller
Telephone queries can be made to 020-7025 2292
This Policy was last changed on the date below. If I make changes to the Policy, the new version will be posted here. I may change, modify, add or remove portions of this Policy at any time, and any changes will become effective immediately upon being posted unless stated otherwise.
23rd May 2018