posted on 05.02.2015 by Peter Scholl

Here is some useful information:

Useful Links
Assets of Community Value – HM Government

Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates – HM Government

Bomb damage – searchable map of WW2 blitz damage in London and surrounding

Bomb damage – V2 rockets on London and surrounding

Bomb damage – V1 & V2 incident logs – South London

Building Societies Association – HM Government

Building Societies Association, Conveyancing Handbook – HM Government

Coal Authority and Environment Agency tool to identify mining and groundwater constraints

Conveyancing Handbook – Council of Mortgage Lenders

Conveyancing Handbook – Building Societies Association

Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 explained – Health & Safety Executive

Companies House search – HM Government

Company Insolvency Notices – The London Gazette

Council of Mortgage Lenders – Council of Mortgage Lenders

Council Tax valuation list – HM Government

Farmers Guide to the Planning System – HM Government DEFRA

Flooding – London – [link broken]

Flooding risk check – HM Government

Fraud – report a cyberattack, fraud, scam or virus online 24/7 – Police 

History – local archives – HM Government

History – Victorian buildings – Victorian Society

History of your house – National Archives

History – City of London Picture Archive 

HS2 Maps – HM Government

Japanese knotweed – HM Government guidance

Japanese knotweed – Royal Horticultural Society guidance

Land Registry – HM Government

Lasting and enduring powers of attorney and a court-appointed deputies -search the register

Law Society – Law Society

Leasehold Advisory Service – LEASE

Legislation – Acts of Parliament and Statutory Instruments – HM Government

Legislation – Church Measures – HM Government

Licences – do you need one? – HM Government

Mortgage Lenders – Council – Council of Mortgage Lenders

Ombudsman – Financial – Financial Ombudsman Service

Ombudsman – Housing – Housing Ombudsman

Ombudsman – Legal – Legal Ombudsman

Ombudsman – Local Government – Local Government Ombudsman

Party Wall explanation – RICS

Public Records – National Archives

Radon information – HM Government

Residential Letting Agents – Association of Residential Letting Agents

Residential Managing Agents – Association of Managing Agents

Residents Associations – Federation of Private Residents Associations

Residential Property (First-tier Tribunal) forms – HM Government

Retirement Housing Managers – Association of Retirement Housing Managers

Rivers and Canals – The Canal & River Trust

Rivers and Canals – Lost rivers of London

Septic Tanks – a guide – Environment Agency

Shelter – Shelter

Solar Panels – Energy Saving Trust

Solve a residential property dispute – Property – HM Government

Surveyors – Chartered – Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Thatched roofs – Thatching Advisory Service

Tribunal – Upper (Lands Tribunal) – HM Government

What’s in your back yard? – Environment Agency

Window installation self-certificate – reorder a copy – FENSA

Links - Renting Private Domestic Property

Government booklet – How to Rent – which must be served on an Assured Shorthold Tenant. (26 June 2018 – check for updates)

Rent Repayment Orders – Government guidance for Housing Authorities

Guide to check-in/out reports, inventories, and schedules of condition

Government guides on permitted and prohibited payments under the Tenant Fees Act 2019

Right to Rent checks

Home Office general guidance 

Run a check on a proposed tenant with the Home office 

Flowchart to check if someone is allowed to rent a residential property

Home Office Right to Rent Document Checks: a User Guide

Guidance for landlords conducting right to rent checks on undocumented commonwealth citizens

Tenancy Deposits

Government general guidance

Deposit holder – Deposit Protection Service

Deposit holder – My Deposits Scheme

Deposit holder – Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Government general guidance (changing 1 October 2018)

Shelter guidance (changing 1 October 2018)

HMO new legislation from 1st October 2018

Selective Licensing

Government guidance for Local Authorities


Government general guidance

Health and Safety Executive – questions and answers for landlords and letting agents

Landlords’ Guide to Electrical Safety

Gas safety legislation (S.I.1998/2451) amended in 2018 by S.I.2018/139)

Seeking Possession & Disrepair

Government general guidance

Notice seeking possession of a property let on or after 1st October 2015 on an AST with Notes

Court form N5(b)

Accelerated possession proceedings online

Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Disrepair Cases

Links - Town & Country Planning

Community Infrastructure explained – HM Government

Listed Buildings – general – English Heritage

Listed Buildings search – English Heritage

Planning Portal – HM Government

Planning practice guidance from Government – contains links to Government guidance and policy on several areas of planning areas including Ensuring Effective Enforcement

Window installation self-certificate – reorder a copy – FENSA

Assets of Community Value
Communities can ask their Local Authority to list certain assets as being of value to the community. If an asset is listed as such and then comes up for sale, the new right will give communities that want it 6 months to put together a bid to buy it.
Read more

Chancel Liability
This is a quirk of English law which renders approximately 300,000 homes in England and Wales liable to pay or contribute to the Church for the cost of repairing the chancel of a church.
Read more

Stamp Duty Land Tax on lease extensions
SDLT on lease extensions, including updating to refer to the conditions for which relief from the higher rates may be available to a buyer extending the lease on their only or main residence. Read more